Monday 20 October 2008

An oddity.

I've been getting some very odd emails, which I can't really explain. Here's a typical example:
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:52:04 +0100
From: sybil.cumae@googlemail.com
To: sfwc@hotmail.com
Subject: I thought you might want to know...

Alaska is the largest state in the USA.
Others (from the same address and with the same subject line) have had similarly terse content:
  • The 500th digit of pi after the decimal point is 2.
  • The reciprocal of the fine structure constant is about 137.036
  • Gray whales migrate at an average speed of 3 mph.
  • King George III of the United Kingdom died on a Saturday.
I've checked these statements (wikipedia is my friend) and they all seem to be accurate. I can't see anything else they have in common. And I have no idea why anyone would send them to me. I don't know anyone called anything like Sybil Cumae. They don't have any kind of attachments that could be harbouring viruses. I've tried telling hotmail that messages from sybil.cumae@googlemail.com are junk, but it still puts them in my inbox. I'm beginning to suspect that this is some kind of viral marketing thing for a microsoft product, but I haven't heard of anyone else getting similar emails and I can't find any reference to it online.

I'm stumped.

No comments: